Wednesday, April 28, 2010

The best trip ever...

Boo...Last day. I can't believe how much I've enjoyed this, and how sad I am to leave my new friends. Everyone was just wonderful, nice and funny. I really enjoyed listening to the guy's stories and "tall tales". Sometimes the men were like old women, gossiping about people. Hee hee.

I didn't get to really talk to everyone, but we had at least 3 WWII veterans, many Korean vets; A secret service agent, Many 78+ year olds (that looked more like 60); A buddhist monk who came on board with his robes, but changed into work wear; A business owner; A "Huse"..the great grandson of the man who their ship was named after;a grandson and his grandpa; 2 father/daughter teams and a father with his 2 sons who meet there every year. Some worked very hard, some not so hard.

On Tuesday, (of course my camping luck followed me)..It was rainy and cold. We didn't work too much in the morning since the tarps over us had big holes; the ship slanted, so there were "lakes" everywhere..so no matter where we sat it was wet and cold..

After lunch, the sun came out for a bit, but then the wind picked up. But the other folks chipping paint got a lot of work done. I took lots of breaks, just chilled.

The "official" work day was to start at 6am with revelrie (sp?). But that didn't happen. But everyone was certainly up for coffee and breakfast. Work started around 8, Commenced at noon for lunch; then work again until 5pm (01600 hours). Then it was happy hour until dinner. And there was a movie everynight. (Guess what they were? Yep, war movies)

I'm very blessed to meet all these people. Many of them reminded me of Uncle, and it was a good feeling. I would love to continue to do this, to preserve our history, and of course, for selfish reasons. It was sooo cool living aboard this destroyer for a few days.





Our official work orders. Looks like I was suppossed to paint, but obviously, had to chip the paint before we painted. I'm sure they will paint the deck later this week.





























Brandon working...He came with his dad.




Tami working. She came with her dad from LaCross, WI. 2 day trip on the train.































THE USS HUSE CREW!























Here is the wardroom, or officer's mess. I took this picture, because of the operating room lights above the table. This room also served as the "emergency room" when needed.























"Captain Tami" and "Lt. Gail"...yeah right.







Going into action...







Thanks for sharing my trip with me. And put out a little prayer to all of our vets. This trip really made me apprciate that.












1 comment:

  1. What an amazing trip! It had to be like walking back into the past. If only those thick iron walls could talk!

    Thanks for sharing your stories and photos.

    ReplyDelete