Sunday, April 25, 2010

First view of the USS Slater








Here is the view as I drove up after 12 hours of driving in the rain...I almost missed her. It's underneath a freeway overpass.




Enjoying a beverage near the USS Slater




The "crew" was waiting for me. Most of the guys served on the USS Huse. There are 3 of us "ladies" who get to stay in the officer quarters. If you were an enlisted man, you get your choice of bottom, middle or top bunk down below.




Above is "my" room. The one and only plug for the laptop is in the middle of the hallway.


Here is the officer' s mess hall. We will be eating in the "enlisted men's mess hall" which is picnic tables. I haven't seen it yet..but I do know that it's now 10pm and our cook for the week is still in the kitchen. I'm not sure if he's still planning our menu or making it "just so" so he knows where everything is in the morning.



There is a working bathroom and showers on the ship. I'll need it to clean off all the grey paint....
A parting shot,.,These are the helmets hanging on deck.



We can go out on the deck all night long if we'd like. Some of the men are "on watch" all night long, since the ship is not locked, just the gates to the parking lot.
I'm hope I sleep well in my bunk...

1 comment: